The IT team has considerable experience and expertise in advising clients in relation to domain name issues.
The team is headed by Nick Phillips who, as well as being a solicitor, is a Nominet Expert. Nominet is the domain name registry for “.uk” domain names. Nominet Experts are independent experts who are engaged by Nominet to decide on disputes relating to “.uk” domain names. The team also features Eric Ramage who was one of the UK’s first domain name practitioners. Eric served on Nominet’s Policy Advisory Board for over 10 years and was its chair for 4 years. He was closely involved in writing Nominet’s first Dispute Resolution Policy and regularly lectures on domain name recovery.
Much of our work in this area relates to domain name disputes and our track record of both recovering domain names and resisting attempts to recover lawfully obtained domain names is excellent.
We are also regularly asked to advise and/or draft documents for clients on a range of domain name issues, domain name transfers and acquisitions, the licensing of domain names and domain name portfolio management including strategic advice on domain name portfolios.
- Taking action in the High Court and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court to recover domain names
- Acting for a wide range of clients in disputes concerning domain names through Nominet (.uk), ICANN (.com and other top level domain names) and in a number of foreign registries including Israel, the Benelux, Ireland and India)
- Assisting a number of clients in the negotiation of agreements to acquire domain names on commercial terms
- Strategic advise on the holding of domain names and the creation of a trust to hold a particular group of domain names
- Due diligence and strategic advice for a major international client on the acquisition of a large portfolio of domain names as part of a business acquisition
- Putting in place watching services for clients to look for specific domain names and then taking action to recover those domain names
- Advising a large online business on the sale of certain business-to-consumer businesses together with associated domain names
They understand our particular requirements, offer an excellent service and are very good at relationship management. ...
Chambers UK 2015
Spot-on in the advice they give, and they provide a definite direction for us to follow rather than sitting on the fence...
Chambers UK 2015
Blog - 10/10/2017
Schrems II: Validity of Standard Contractual Clauses under threat
Press Coverage - 17/08/2017
Poundland and Mondelēz go to war over Toblerone lookalike
Events - 28/06/2017 - 01/07/2017
Edwin Coe attends the ECTA 36th Annual Conference
Blog - 07/06/2017
Design For Living – First Appointed Person Decision in a Registered ...
Blog - 28/02/2017
Is a domain name a piece of intellectual property? Not necessarily, ac...
Blog - 16/02/2017
The pet insurance company PETPLAN has just lost a domain name complain...