Those who have lived or worked in the UK may wish to make the UK their permanent home. Certain immigration categories lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after continuous residence on that particular route.

Obtaining ILR grants you the freedom to continue to live, work or study in the UK, free of any immigration restrictions. Furthermore, individuals who hold ILR may be eligible to apply to naturalise as a British citizen if they can satisfy certain requirements.

There are various different immigration routes that lead to ILR. As a broad overview, an applicant would need to meet the relevant requirements for the category that leads to ILR, ensure they meet the absences requirement and knowledge of language and life in the UK.

If you think you are eligible to qualify for ILR or would like general advice on the ILR requirements for the particular visa category you are on, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration team.

Contact our Immigration Team
telephone: 020 7691 4000
or email: enquiries@edwincoe.com

Applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain (settlement) Team

  • Single page view


Applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain (settlement)

Most visa categories give visa holders the opportunity to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) once you have completed a certain period of residence in the UK in a visa category. You can obtain indefinite leave to remain in the UK having completed residence in one of the following categories:
  1. Former work permit holders – 5 years
  2. Tier 2 (General) which can include period spent as a work permit holder – 5 years
  3. Tier 1 (Investor) – 5 years or accelerated route after
  4. Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) – 5 years or accelerated route after
  5. Settlement visas – 5 years
  6. 10 years continuous lawful period of residence in the UK, which can be combination of different visa categories
  7. Former discretionary leave to remain – 6 years
  8. Asylum – 4 years
  9. Ancestry visa – 5 years.
The majority of applications for indefinite leave to remain require you to pass the Life in the UK test and meet the knowledge of English language requirement.  There are some exceptions to this requirement.

Share by: