The Student visa, which replaced the old Tier 4 General Student visa, is for international students who wish to come and study in the UK. This route is a points-based immigration category available to those who are aged 16 or above and who intend to study in the UK.

This route does not lead to settlement, however, individuals may switch to a Graduate visa providing they can meet the criteria of the Graduate visa.

Individuals wishing to apply for a Student visa must be sponsored by an education provider which holds a valid student sponsor licence.

The education provider will need to ensure certain requirements are met and only once satisfied will they issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which the individual will need as part of their application. The individual will also need to meet the relevant points for both the English language and financial requirement.

Under the new Student Visa, children can now apply under the Child Student route, which is tailored for students ages 4 to 17.

The length of visa granted will depend on the validity of the course being studied in the UK.

On the 1st January 2024, the rules on Student dependants were changed drastically to limit only certain students to bring their family to accompany them to the UK. Our immigration team are equipped to advise on the eligibility criteria and requirements.

If you are considering the Student visa for yourself or your dependants and you require further information on the eligibility criteria and process, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration team.

Contact our Immigration Team
telephone: 020 7691 4000
or email: enquiries@edwincoe.com

  • Single page view


Student Visas

The UK is a prime location for many wishing to study in the UK, as there are many reputable education providers. We are also aware that many also wish to enter the UK to do English language courses.  In order to obtain a visa in this category, you would first be assessed by your potential Tier 4 sponsor.  We also assist prospective students with finding sponsors as well as assessing their credentials to see which institutions would be likely to offer them a place on a course. If you are 16 or over and you wish to study in the UK you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa.  You can apply if you:
  • have been offered a place on a course
  • can speak, read, write and understand English
  • have sufficient money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary
  • are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • meet the other eligibility requirements.
You are allowed to do a course that is one of the following:
  • full-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 6 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
  • an overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
  • a full-time course with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study leading to a qualification below degree level but at least NQF level 3
  • a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist.

Share by: