Edwin Coe has a considerable amount of experience in advising clients in relation to matters of defamation and malicious falsehood including in traditional print media as well as online and via social media. These can be stand-alone complaints but are often allied with other complaints and causes of action such as trade mark infringement, passing off, infringements of moral rights or copyright infringements.
We have acted for clients who believe that they have been defamed and for those that have been accused of defamation including in relation to the Defamation Act 2013 which has had and will continue to have a significant impact on the scope for and the nature of defamation actions and sets out certain rules which apply to online defamations and the liability of website operators.
- Edwin Coe acted successfully for Mr Gary Flood in his defamation action against Times Newspapers Limited (Times Newspapers Ltd v Flood,  EWHC 4075 (QB)).
- We have successfully taken down a number of webpages containing defamatory content.
- We have advised numerous clients on defamation issues relating to items posted on social media sites and other webpages.
- Defending High Court proceedings for an international newspaper arising out of articles published in its London edition.
- Considering and advising in relation to a number of comparative advertising scenarios relating to both malicious falsehood and trade mark infringement.
- Advising the directors of a major UK based company in relation to comments posted on an online blog and online forums.
- Taking action on behalf of a major sports brand in relation to a number of matters including statements made on national television and in the national press.
We went there because we weren't treated as just a number on a list.
Chambers UK 2014
They have a good understanding of our needs and service them with knowledge and understanding of the issues.
Chambers UK 2014
Events - 13/06/2018 - 15/06/2018
Edwin Coe attends the ECTA 37th Annual Conference
Blog - 23/04/2018
Don’t forget the right to be forgotten… (and its nothing to do wit...
Blog - 18/04/2018
The General Data Protection Regulation – not just a European problem...
Press Releases - 26/02/2018
Simon Miles recognised in WIPR Trademarks Leaders 2018