Nick specialises in Intellectual Property and IT. Nick qualified as a solicitor in 1995 and joined Edwin Coe as a partner in 2013. Prior to joining Edwin Coe Nick co-founded and subsequently headed the IT/IP department in a large regional firm.
Nick has considerable experience in advising clients on the implementation of the GDPR and on other data protection issues and he is actively working with a number of clients on their journey towards GDPR compliance. He also regularly advises on a range of, e-commerce, domain name, intellectual property and internet related issues as well as on a wide variety of IT contracts.
Nick also regularly advises on the protection, exploitation and enforcement of the full range of intellectual property rights. His clients include individual inventors, SMEs, larger companies, charities and international organisations. He has advised manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, ISPs, re-sellers, distributors and agents in a wide range of industries.
- Reviewing, advising and assisting in the negotiation of a wide range of contracts in the IT sector including for both customers and suppliers of software and related services.
- Drafting and advising on software licences, software support agreements, hardware supply agreements, hardware support agreements and professional services agreements for a wide range of clients.
- Advising a number of clients with serious online presences on their terms and conditions of sale to consumers and on compliance with the various e-commerce legislation.
- Dealing with a number of issues arising out of the supply of goods and services to consumers online including by amending terms and conditions and liaising with trading standards.
- Strategic advice to a number of international companies on the enforcement of their intellectual property rights including liaising with national enforcement agencies and putting appropriate watch notices in place.
- Advising an international ceramics business in relation to High Court copyright infringement proceedings.
- Advice on the intellectual property aspects of a number of corporate transactions.
- Bringing and defending cancellation proceedings at OHIM and subsequent appeals to OHIM’s Boards of Appeal and the European General Court.
- Giving and co-ordinating advice on the use and registerability of a number of trade marks and designs worldwide.
- Advising an international business with a customer database containing several million records on a number of issues including on the sale and use of that data, on the collection and use of new data and on the purchase of data from third parties in the UK and worldwide.
- Drafting and advising on data protection policies and the compliance with data protection legislation generally.
- Acting for the purchaser of a number of customer databases and advising on the related transfer of data to the United States.
- Advising a national charity on data protection issues including in relation to a number of issues involving sensitive personal data.
- Independent expert under Nominet’s Dispute Resolution Service to determine .uk domain name disputes since 2005.
- Drafting and advising on a number of domain name transfer agreements.
- Strategic advice on domain name portfolios in connection with corporate transactions and on a stand alone basis.
- Acting for parties in a number of domain name disputes in the High Court and using the more informal dispute resolution procedures available through Nominet, WIPO and EURid.
+44 (0)20 7691 4191
Nick Philips has very good cooperation, interpersonal and professional skills. He is excellent, especially in trade mark...
Legal 500 UK 2023
Recommended in Legal 500 UK 2023
Recognised in WIPR (World IP Review) Leaders Directory 2023
Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
Member of the Society for Computers & Law
Regularly writes articles and blogs and provides comments on various aspects of intellectual property and IT law
Has been published in a range of publications including the Times, the Telegraph, the Evening Standard, the Trade Mark Lawyer, ITMA Review, IPPro and the Intellectual Property Magazine
Delivers talks and seminars on intellectual property and IT law generally to clients and more widely
Diploma in Intellectual Property Law & Practice (University of Bristol)
Member of the Law Society
Nick Philips has very good cooperation, interpersonal and professional skills. He is excellent, especially in trade m...Legal 500 UK 2023
Nick Phillips is an expert in domain name disputes.
Legal 500 UK 2022
Nick Phillips takes time to understand the client's business and the challenges faced and looks for realistic solutio...Legal 500 UK 2020
Nick Phillips gives pragmatic advice on technical matters.
Legal 500 UK 2019
Edwin Coe LLP offer timely, commercially astute advice at a competitive price.
The Legal 500 2019
They understand our particular requirements, offer an excellent service and are very good at relationship management....Chambers UK 2015
Spot-on in the advice they give, and they provide a definite direction for us to follow rather than sitting on the fe...Chambers UK 2015
We went there because we weren't treated as just a number on a list.
Chambers UK 2014
They have a good understanding of our needs and service them with knowledge and understanding of the issues.
Chambers UK 2014
Blog - 27/07/2023
A timely reminder of the UK’s electronic ma...
Blog - 18/11/2022
How to solve a problem like WHOIS? Is a centr...
Blog - 15/08/2022
Data Subject Access Requests – growing in n...
Blog - 14/07/2022
The UK’s new Data Reform Bill – A Brave N...