Later living & care services
Edwin Coe’s multidisciplinary Later Living & Care team provides practical, expert advice to a variety of stakeholders across this ever growing sector.
There are more than 12 million over 65s in the UK, with this figure expected to increase by 50% over the next 20 years. A severe undersupply in suitable housing to meet this demand has created a sector which is continuing to grow and develop. From traditional care homes and extra care facilities, to luxury retirement villages, investors are starting to recognise the opportunities this sector provides.
Whether you are an operator, investor, developer or lender, Edwin Coe’s specialist Later Living and Care team, which includes specialist real estate, construction, finance, corporate, employment, intellectual property and immigration lawyers, provide a range of legal services to market participants.
At Edwin Coe we believe that the key to providing a high quality service is developing an in-depth understanding of clients’ needs and priorities to ensure that we deliver timely and commercial legal advice, which meets clients’ objectives. We provide a partner-led service across all our practice areas and our Later Living and Care team is no different.
Services provided in this area include:
- Corporate acquisitions and disposals
- Real estate advice, including advising on acquisitions and sales, and leasing arrangements
- Development and construction
- Finance advice, advising both lenders and borrowers
- Dispute resolution
- Joint ventures and re-organisations
- Employment and staff management matters
- Immigration advice, including advising operators on obtaining Sponsor Licences
- Intellectual property advice including GDPR, brand protection and where necessary, dispute resolution.
Examples of our team’s work
- Advising on the £21 million acquisition of a portfolio of companies owning and operating six residential care homes in England and Scotland including acting on corporate, real estate, IP, debt-finance and employment issues.
- Advising a care home investor on the £55 million sale of a portfolio of five operating care homes to a leading US real estate investment trust.
- Advising a care home operator on a £7.5 million strategic acquisition of three care homes and the underlying operating businesses.
- Advising on the complex corporate acquisition by a large private equity house of a care home provider, which involved the sale and lease back of properties in the portfolio.
- Advising a care home developer on a professional negligence claim against its solicitors who had failed to advise on the existence of a restrictive covenant preventing development on the developer’s land.
- Advising a care home operator in a complex dispute with its insurance brokers involving the insolvency of its insurers followed subsequently by a flood which caused multi-million pounds worth of damage.
- Successfully obtaining a Sponsor Licence for a care home provider with multiple sites across the UK. Thereafter obtaining a Skilled Worker/Health and Care Worker visa for several EU and non-EU nationals, allowing them to legally work for the care home provider in the UK.
- Advising on the disposal of a healthcare operator for £19 million which included advising on corporate, debt-restructuring, real estate, employment, immigration, tax and IP.
- Acting on behalf of a UK debt fund in relation to a £15m development loan to an established care home provider, to facilitate the construction of a 70 bed care home.
For further information please call or email a team member.