At Edwin Coe LLP we are focussed on providing the highest quality of care for our clients. We have helped many UK businesses with navigating the immigration nuances associated with employing the brightest and best global talent.

For businesses who wish to hire from outside of the UK labour market, the starting point is applying for and being granted a Sponsor Licence.

With the Home Office constantly changing rules and updating guidance, our specialist Immigration team can assist businesses that wish to hire foreign workers.

What is a Sponsor Licence?

Formerly known as the Tier 2 Sponsor Licence, a Sponsor Licence allows businesses that are genuinely present and operating in the UK, to employ EU and non-EU skilled workers to come and work legally in the UK. The UK business must meet the eligibility criteria set out by the Home Office in order to obtain a Sponsor Licence.

Why do you need a Sponsor Licence?

If an organisation identifies an EU or non-EU national (who does not have permission to work in the UK) to fulfil a vacant position, the organisation would first need to have in place a Sponsor Licence.

Once a Sponsor Licence has been obtained, a business can then move ahead with issuing a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to the candidate identified to fulfil the vacant position.

  • Eligibility and suitability requirements for a Sponsor Licence
  • Who are the Key Personnel?
  • What are my sponsorship duties?
  • What are the costs for obtaining a Sponsor Licence?
  • What type of licences are there?
  • How long will the application take?
  • What are sponsor licence ratings?
  • Sponsor licence application successful, what happens next?
  • Validity of a sponsor licence
  • What if an application is refused or rejected?


Next steps

Our immigration team have considerable experience in assisting businesses with applying for a Sponsor Licence. If you require any advice or assistance with regards to Sponsor Licensing, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration team.

Sundeep Rathod discusses Sponsor Licence applications for UK employers

Contact our Immigration Team
telephone: 020 7691 4000
or email: enquiries@edwincoe.com

  • Single page view


Sponsor Licensing Applications – Legal Guidance for UK Employers

Share by: