Our IT team has a great deal of experience in advising clients in relation to various data protection issues.
We are regularly asked to advise clients and/or to draft documents and policies relating to data protection matters. These can relate to the ongoing needs of the business to develop and keep under review policies which comply with legislation in this area, the purchase or supply of services which require data protection issues to be taken into account or on the acquisition or sale of the whole or part of a business.
The areas on which we advise include data collection, use / processing of data, data subject access requests, cross-border transfers of data, ICO registration requirements and enforcement and sanctions. Our client’s frequently find it useful for us to carry out an audit or review of their policies, practices and agreement from a data protection point of view to ensure compliance with both law and best practice.
- Advising a leading social care provider on data protection issues generally particularly concerning the practices proposed by its IT supplier relating to sensitive personal data.
- Advising a leading online provide of dating services on a range of data protection and privacy issues including in relation to the transfer of databases.
- Advising a multi-national business on the transfer of personal data between Europe and the US and working with US lawyers on the setting up of a safe harbour arrangement in the US.
- General day to day advice to a number of clients on data protection issues including in relation to the transfer of personal data between group companies and the use of personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Acting on the sale of a number of customer databases in a number of countries worldwide and ensuring that national data protection laws were complied with in each case.
- Acting for the supplier of medical devices in a dispute concerning the use of personal data in sales databases across Europe.
(Edwin Coe) is particularly active in the technology, publishing and retail sectors, and earns admiration for its fast t...
Chambers UK 2012