On 28 April 2021 the Supreme Court is due to hear the appeal of Google against the order of the Court of Appeal allowing Richard Lloyd to proceed with a case against Google for the farming and misuse of data on behalf of millions of consumers. The case is a landmark for a number of reasons:
- Can one individual represent millions of unnamed consumers in pursuit of a claim. This is a first in English procedure outside cartel cases and reflects US style class actions. Will the court’s support it?
- A whole string of cases for data breaches has followed the appeal decision and they will be affected by the decision in the Supreme Court.
- Do all consumers whose data has been used suffer the same damage
- What damages are payable for the misuse of data in breach of the Data Protection Act and the EU Data Directive
- If the Court of Appeal judgment does not stand how do consumers pursue compensation available under the statute.
David Greene, Senior Partner of Edwin Coe LLP said “This is a super important case in establishing the respective rights of the consumer to control information about them and the rights of platforms and web sites to garner information through cookies and then sell or use it. If the Supreme Court goes the way of the Court of Appeal it will open up a whole range of possibilities for consumers not just in the field of data farming but in other wider consumer claims.”
About Edwin Coe
Edwin Coe LLP is a full service law firm based in the heart of London’s historic legal district in Lincoln’s Inn. Founded in 1913, we have grown from our litigation origins to become a thriving and dynamic practice, providing a comprehensive range of legal services to meet the needs of a wide variety of businesses, individuals and organisations based throughout the UK and internationally.
With 37 partners, we are ranked 116 in the 2020 edition of The Lawyer ‘UK 200’ law firms and are recommended in all the major legal directories. We provide clients with innovative, tailored and integrated legal services and combine a highly personal and responsive service with industry leading expertise.