Since 1 January 2021, the Skilled Worker route replaced the previous Tier 2 General category. This visa category enables both EU and non-EU nationals from outside of the United Kingdom to be employed by a UK business that holds a Sponsor Licence.

To qualify for a Skilled Worker route, a Sponsor will need to ensure the migrant worker scores 70 points in order to qualify for the Skilled Worker visa:

  • Must have a job offer at RQF Level 3 or above from a licenced Sponsor (50 points);
  • They meet the minimum salary threshold (10 points);
  • They meet the English language requirement (10 points).

Sponsors must ensure individuals are being at least £25,600 or the “going rate” in order to qualify for a Certificate of Sponsorship. There are a number of different ways an individual can meet the minimum salary threshold – these points are tradeable depending on age, qualification, whether the role is shortage occupation etc.

Analysing role profiles, assessing the minimum salary requirements and assigning of Certificate of Sponsorships (defined or unrestricted) can be a complex process for businesses that are unfamiliar with the process.

Our Immigration team often are instructed to manage this process for corporate clients from start to finish. If you require any advice or assistance with regards to the Skilled Worker visa, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration team.

Contact our Immigration Team
telephone: 020 7691 4000
or email: enquiries@edwincoe.com

  • Single page view


Skilled Worker Visa applications

This visa category is aimed at non-EU nationals wishing to take up employment in the UK. Employers faced with the situation of not being able to find appropriate skilled workers within the UK resident labour market, or faced with the prospect of not being able to keep a foreign student, or other visa holder whom they have previously employed and has become a valuable employee, are often unsure as to the immigration process of recruiting a non UK/EU resident worker. With expert guidance from Business Immigration lawyers such as Edwin Coe, it can be a relatively straightforward process. If a business wishes to recruit a (non EU) foreign national, it must apply for a Sponsor Licence in the first instance, if they don’t already have one. One might think that applying for a Sponsor Licence and obtaining a visa is expensive and complex. However if the potential foreign national is able to add value to a company, applying for a Sponsor Licence is not too complex or expensive.

Share by: