Liability arising from defective products can be extensive and costly to manufacturers, whether dealing with third party injury claims or the costs of recalls, bad publicity and the resulting impact it has on brand image, expenditure including penalties and lost output.
Our insurance litigation team has experience in dealing with a wide variety of product liability claims and regularly acts in considering claims under product liability policy wordings in disputes over the extent of cover and the application of exclusions, bringing and defending claims, as well as pursuing insurers and/or brokers in circumstances where insurance cover has been denied.
Past instructions include acting for:
- A multi-national food manufacturer in contamination claims or where products have not been made to their intended specification;
- A large US conglomerate in relation to claims arising from faulty air conditioning units;
- A leading chocolate manufacturer in respect of claims arising from the presence of abnormal lactose levels and discolouration of finished product following incorrect manufacturing temperatures;
- A major furniture manufacturer in claims for personal injuries allegedly arising from the presence of a skin irritant in moisture absorbent sachets in leather sofas and armchairs;
- A crisp manufacturer for loss and damage arising from the rejection by its supermarket customers of significant batches of crisps due to unpleasant odour being present on the opening of packets of crisps; and
- A manufacturer of allegedly faulty contacts which ultimately ended up being used in military vehicles.
Roger Franklin is recommended for his attention to detail and sound judgement. Clients comment that he is knowledgeable,...
Chambers Directory 2015