Roger practises in Commercial Litigation, specialising in Insurance law and Heads up the Insurance Litigation Group. He qualified in 1999 and became a partner in 2005. He has acted on disputes in the UK, Europe and the United States. He has represented both claimants and defendants in a wide variety of commercial insurance matters, including professional negligence, directors’ and officers’ liability, shareholder claims and general liability and coverage disputes.
Roger also represents financial services professionals on discrete aspects of the regulatory regime, and acts for firms and individuals in the course of FCA investigations and enforcement proceedings.
- Acting for the Claimant Plc in a claim for material damage/business interruption losses involving a misrepresentation argument over sums insured across 20 premises.
- Advising the Claimant insured where the insurer denied cover on an all risks policy relying on an alleged breach of condition and “unexplained loss” and fidelity exclusions.
- Acting for the Claimant property developer in a claim under a premier guarantee policy relating to structural warranties.
- Acting for the Claimant waste (WEE) recycling business in a claim against insurers and the insurance broker. The judgment provided an interesting summary of, and extension to, the duties owed by the broker in relation to advice on the disclosure of material facts.
- Various claims against insurance brokers for negligent advice on the operation of warranties and conditions precedent.
- Claims against accountants for negligent advice in the context of share sale and purchase agreements.
Financial Services Regulation
- Advising on the regulatory issues involved in the development and sale of various products and instruments, both inside and outside the regulatory perimeter.
- Acting for various insurance and financial intermediaries in the course of investigation and enforcement proceedings by the FCA.
- Acting for a US manufacturer of jet engines and in the recovery of those engines following their illegal supply to various Iranian entities in breach of US sanctions.
- Acting for the Claimant company in a multi-million claim arising out of an agreement to develop and sell a new product to the automotive industry.
- Advising a US corporate as to its confidentiality obligations under a Russian oil and gas joint venture agreement.
+44 (0)20 7691 4000
Roger is very decisive and in control of the whole process. He knew where it was going, gave good direction and took a ...
Chambers UK 2021
Assessment of damage claims
Business Interruption claims
Claims against security providers
Denied claims on the basis of Breach of Warranty or General Condition
Third Party claims for Uninsured Losses
Ranked as a Leading Individual Band 2 in Chambers UK 2021
Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2021
Ranked as a Leading Individual in Chambers Global 2021
Ally Law Executive Board Secretary 2018-20
Roger is very decisive and in control of the whole process. He knew where it was going, gave good direction and took...Chambers UK 2021
He is great with clients and puts them at ease
Chambers UK 2021
Roger Franklin has wonderfully sound judgement and is a tough negotiator.
The Legal 500 2020
Roger Franklin has an incredible command of the English language, which he adapts to create communication of sometime...The Legal 500 2020
Very commercial, practical and a pleasure to deal with.
Chambers UK 2020
He is an excellent advocate who explains matters clearly and concisely - he is very knowledgeable on insurance law an...Chambers UK 2019
Roger Franklin has wide-ranging technical insurance knowledge and is able to advise in very clear and concise way.The Legal 500 2019
He is very good and really fights his client's corner well.
Chambers UK 2019
Roger Franklin demonstrates very sound judgement and is excellent with clients,
The Legal 500 2019
The excellent Roger Franklin is cutting-edge in his understanding of what's right and wrong in the world of insurance...Chambers UK 2018
An excellent advocate who explains matters clearly and concisely.
Chambers UK 2018
Roger Franklin has a brain the size of a planet and is also very astute and switched on.
Chambers UK 2018
Roger Franklin is able to get to grips with complicated issues very quickly, achieving excellent results.
The Legal 500 2017
Roger Franklin is lauded for being commercially minded, committed and pragmatic, as well as very good with clients.Chambers UK 2017
Roger Franklin is known to be excellent and has wide-ranging technical knowledge.
The Legal 500 2016
Roger Franklin is praised as technically superb by interviewees.
Chambers UK 2016
Roger Franklin is an accomplished commercial litigator who routinely advises claimants on professional negligence mat...Chambers UK 2016
Roger Franklin is recommended for his attention to detail and sound judgement. Clients comment that he is knowledgeab...Chambers UK 2015
Roger Franklin commands respect among defence firms as a worthy opponent
Legal 500 2015
Roger Franklin is incisive in his analysis of cases and cool under fire
Legal 500 2014
We valued the personal touch that made us not feel like a number, and you were with us every step of the way
Client Feedback Survey 2014
You were recommended to us and we will most definitely be recommending you to others
Client Feedback Survey 2014
Roger Franklin has an ability to demystify the whole process and is appreciated for his cool, calm and collected appr...Chambers UK 2013
Roger Franklin has a wonderful attention to detail.
Legal 500 2012
Roger Franklin is a tough negotiator
Legal 500 2011
Roger Franklin is renowned as being very bright and good to work with
Chambers UK 2011
Roger Franklin offers viable and practical solutions to policyholder problems
Legal 500 2010
Roger Franklin is very astute
Legal 500 2009
Blog - 15/01/2021
Supreme Court judgment handed down in FCA Cov...
Blog - 17/09/2020
Judgment handed down in FCA Covid-19 BI insur...
Blog - 26/02/2019
Can a landlord benefit from the Berni Inns De...
Blog - 30/07/2018
UK law reform to insurable interest