Karen joined Edwin Coe as a trainee in September 2009 and qualified as a Solicitor into the Intellectual Property team in September 2011. She became a Partner at the firm in April 2023. Karen is also a qualified Chartered Trade Mark Attorney.
Karen studied Law at The University of Manchester and graduated in 2008 with a 2:1 honours degree. She then completed the Legal Practice Course (with Distinction) in June 2009 at The College of Law.
Karen deals with all aspects of intellectual property law, both contentious (including acting for parties in the High Court, IPEC, UKIPO and EUIPO) and non-contentious matters (including drafting assignments, licences and non-disclosure agreements) in the fields of trade marks, passing off, copyright and design rights.
In addition, Karen regularly prosecutes trade mark and registered design applications at UK, EU and international level. She manages, co-ordinates and deals with the enforcement aspects (including dealing with counterfeits, intellectual property right recordals with custom authorities, oppositions, invalidity and revocation actions) concerning the clients’ trade mark and registered design portfolios. Her clients include individuals, companies, charities and international organisations in the fields of media and entertainment, advertising and sport, fashion and beauty, restaurants, electronics and education.
- Acting for numerous clients in prosecuting trade mark applications, oppositions, invalidity actions and cancellation actions at the UKIPO, EUIPO and WIPO.
- Acting for various clients, in particular in the fashion, media and entertainment industries, in their copyright infringement disputes.
- Acting for a Claimant European clothing licensee in UK High Court proceedings as part of a multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning trade mark infringement and breach of a trade mark licence.
- Acting for a Defendant in UK High Court proceedings concerning a declaration of non-infringement.
- Acting for a Defendant in IPEC proceedings on the alleged infringement of design right.
- Acting for a Claimant in IPEC proceedings concerning passing off and trade mark infringement.
- Acting for an international company in its purchase of a large restaurant chain in relation to various intellectual property matters.
- Acting for a company in its sale of its e-commerce travel business in relation to various intellectual property matters.
- Acting for numerous well-known companies including in the fields of media and entertainment and beauty in conducting clearance searches and advising on trade mark and design filing strategies, managing and co-ordinating their international trade mark and design filing programmes and portfolio management.
+44 (0)20 7691 4039
Recommended in The Legal 500 2017 for Intellectual Property
Member of the Law Society
Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
Member of the Law and Practice Committee of CITMA
Has been published in a range of publications including the CITMA Review, Financier Worldwide and The Trademark Lawyer.
Referred to as the best trademark handler ever.
Simon Miles and Karen Lee have an excellent knowledge of trade mark law and provide sound, practical advice.
The Legal 500 2017
They provide a very responsive and commercial service.
Chambers UK 2017
Spot-on in the advice they give, and they provide a definite direction for us to follow rather than sitting on the fe...Chambers UK 2015
We went there because we weren't treated as just a number on a list.
Chambers UK 2014
They have a good understanding of our needs and service them with knowledge and understanding of the issues
Chambers UK 2014
Blog - 06/02/2024
Four rings on a spare part car grille infring...
Blog - 07/12/2023
Lewis Hamilton crashes out of intellectual pr...
Blog - 19/12/2019
Making sense of your website with our website...
Blog - 16/08/2019
Supermac triumphs over McDonald’s again