Events - 20/10/2014
Employment seminar HR Tips and Traps
Edwin Coe is pleased to announce that due to popular demand, we will be hosting an additional date for the Employment seminar regarding top HR Tips and Traps, which will be jointly hosted with Red Anchor Recruitment. The seminar will be presented by leading Employment partner Linky Trott, and we would be delighted if you could attend.
Linky has drawn together common issues that are raised with her in practice and she has identified the following as particular ‘trouble spots’:
- Making roles, not people, redundant.
- Thinking capability dismissals are a medical decision not a business decision.
- Company politics and the HR role e.g. CEO is a bully and allegation made.
- Not managing short term intermittent absences.
- Failing to give/extract a well-timed apology.
- Failing to conduct a proper investigation (test for unfair dismissal).
- Hiring consultants/freelancers without regard to their status as workers or employees.
- Failure to distinguish between capability and conduct.
- Deciding when to act on a ‘grievance’ when the employee has said they don’t want you to but want to ‘record’ it.
- Payments in lieu of notice: old fashioned clause?
If you would like to attend, please contact email@example.com
Linky has a wealth of experience and advises on a full range of employment issues for established corporate clients and senior executives in both regulated and non-regulated industries. She has provided strategic advice on a number of successful team moves within the communications and financial sector acting for both the poaching competitor and the individuals being approached.
Linky understands that when a business or a senior executive has an employment related issue, it frequently requires immediate and urgent attention and Linky is consistently praised by clients for her speed of response and turnaround time. Her client base encompasses a broad range of industry sectors including financial services (from senior executives in substantial financial institutions to owner managed hedge funds), professional services (including legal, architectural, accounting, recruitment, consultancies), local authorities, PR and advertising, manufacturing and retail companies.
Ruth joined Edwin Coe as a partner in December 2008. She was previously a partner at Fasken Martineau LLP (formerly Stringer Saul). Ruth specialises in employment law, providing contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to international and UK companies, both private and listed, across a variety of business sectors including pharmaceutical, engineering and financial services.
Ruth’s clients also include individual executives, entrepreneurs, start-ups and charities. Ruth has extensive experience of acting successfully for senior executives in relation to managed exits and negotiating settlement agreements.