Shams joined Edwin Coe as a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution team in September 2014, specialising in commercial, trusts and property related litigation.
Before joining Edwin Coe, he previously worked at Bishop & Sewell LLP as a partner in their Dispute Resolution team, and at Payne Hicks Beach.
Shams’ expertise extends to all forms of property contracts, partnership, company, shareholders and building disputes, consumer law regulation, and all aspects of commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes.
Shams has extensive experience in acting for commercial and private clients both here and abroad, and is experienced in using alternative dispute resolution methods where appropriate to achieve the best results for his clients, including commercial mediation and arbitration.
- A substantial right of way dispute involving prescriptive rights asserted over valuable investment premises
- Possession proceedings in relation to high-value properties including esoteric tenant’s rights
- The successful defence to a claim brought against developers by contractors in respect of a development project
- Enforcement of high value commercial property sale contracts
- Advising lessees in a high-value residential long lease dispute with related company law advice on directors and shareholders’ rights and matters of corporate governance
- Family property business/partnership disputes
- Trust related litigation including alleged breaches of statutory duties
- Private client based litigation including acting for estates to resolve property disputes and Inheritance Act claims
- Represented private landlord in substantial disputes with local authorities concerning alleged prohibition/improvement breach of statutory notices
- Complex international arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules
- An unfair prejudice petition leading to trial on issues surrounding settlement offers and related procedural rules
- Advising in relation to complex tax litigation and applications for disclosure under the Finance Act
- Money laundering related and general property claims involving commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes
+44 (0)20 7691 4045
Shams Rahman is an excellent all-round litigator. He is tenacious and meticulous in his preparation, always building goo...
The Legal 500 2017
Acquisitions and sale of real estate
Landlord and Tenant work
Joint Venture Disputes
Professional Negligence claims
Rent and service charge recovery
Insolvency of Landlords and Tenants
Breaches of Covenant
Party Wall Act
Forfeiture and Applications for Relief
Trespass, Nuisance and Damage claims
Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2021
Trustee of the Solicitors Benevolent Association (SBA) Board
Member of the Punjab Bar Council, Pakistan
Member of the Arab Bankers Association
Current Chair of the City of Westminster and Holborn Law Society Litigation sub-committee
Education: Dulwich College, B.A, LL.B, LL.M. (Lond)
Shams Rahman is an excellent property litigator who builds a good rapport with his clients.
The Legal 500 2019
Shams Rahman is an excellent all-round litigator. He is tenacious and meticulous in his preparation, always building ...The Legal 500 2017
Shams Rahman is a good strategist with a really good understanding of property law.
The Legal 500 2016
The Legal 500 2015
Shams Rahman is an exceptionally competent lawyer.
The Legal 500 2014
Blog - 25/01/2021
Adverse possession claims update: what is min...
Blog - 12/01/2021
Developers take heed… Conduct conquers ...
Blog - 30/04/2020
Update on Possession Claims: The Courts allow...
Blog - 28/04/2020
The Residential Letting Landscape in the ligh...