Thomas joined Edwin Coe LLP as an Associate from a national firm where he trained and qualified as a litigation lawyer. He read law at undergraduate and continued his studies at King’s College London (Distinction & top of year). He was admitted to the roll in 2013, and recognised as an Advocate in 2015 obtaining Higher Rights of Audience to appear in courts at all levels including the Court of Appeal. In 2018, Thomas completed his judicial work shadowing scheme sitting in the Chancery Division.
Thomas has a mixed commercial and Chancery practice, with a particular focus on commercial fraud. He is instructed on prosecutions ranging from film finance and tax schemes to major corporation disputes between multi-nationals and HMRC.
- Maugham v Uber London Ltd  EWHC 391 (Ch). Instructed to obtain a declaration that Uber is required to provide Mr Maugham with a VAT invoice in relation to the supply of transport services in the form of a private hire vehicle on 15 March 2017. The requirement is said to arise under regulations 13 and 14 of the Value Added Tax Regulations 1995. Mr Maugham also seeks an order that Uber provide him with a VAT invoice in relation to that supply.
- Representing and advising investors in the Eclipse Film Scheme, an investment vehicle which purported to acquire and trade in the distribution and/or other exploitation rights of certain motion pictures produced by Disney, and could do so in a way which would have certain fiscal or tax advantages for them as individuals in the United Kingdom
- Advising a trust on its defence to a breach of confidence claim in the Commercial Court quantified at c£27 million.
- Advising a widely publicised Brexit campaign following contravention of PECR and, in parallel High Court proceedings, breach of an online advertising agreement.
- Obtaining Norwich Pharmacal relief against Google LLC.
- Advising on unlawful public borrowing arising under a significant finance agreement.
- Advising a religious charity in a cross-jurisdiction dispute concerning the extent of its liability for breach of trust under a funding agreement and misappropriation of donations intended for a Syrian orphanage.
+44(0)20 7691 4061
Thomas Johnson stands out as tenacious and knowledgeable; highly competent and a good fighter to have on your side. ...
The Legal 500 2020
- Advocacy (County Court & High Court)
General Chancery and Commercial Disputes
Recommended in The Legal 500 2020 for Commercial Litigation and Civil Fraud
Winner of the Dickson Poon School of law Best in Year Prize at King’s College
Top of Year
Awarded Freeman of the City of London