Thomas is a Senior Associate in the Group and Commercial Litigation Team. He was admitted to the Roll as a Solicitor in 2013, and Called to the Bar as a Barrister (unregistered) by Lincoln’s Inn in 2020.
Thomas has a mixed commercial practice, with a particular focus on civil fraud. He is instructed on prosecutions ranging from finance and tax schemes to major corporation disputes between multi-nationals and HMRC.
Thomas read law at undergraduate and continued his studies at King’s College London (Distinction & top of year). He completed his judicial work shadowing scheme sitting in the Chancery Division in 2018.
- Maugham v Uber London Ltd  EWHC 391 (Ch) – instructed to obtain a declaration that Uber is required to provide Mr Maugham with a VAT invoice in relation to the supply of transport services.
- Eclipse Investors v HSBCPLC (Commercial Court, ongoing) – acting for claimant group in a £1.3 billion claim in deceit, conspiracy and dishonest assistance against HSBC for its part in structuring partnerships to invest in Disney films.
- Richards v Harvey  EWHC 21 (Ch) (12 January 2021) – acting for the claimant in a claim for breach of agreement arising from a complex luxury hotel development in Barbados.
- Investors v Clydesdale Financial Services (Barclays Partner Finance) – acting for a claimant group arising from the mis-selling of timeshares and pursuing claims in misrepresentation and under consumer credit legislation.
- Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation v HMRC  UKFTT 329 (TC) (Court of Appeal, ongoing) – acting for the charity in respect of HMRC’s denial of a claim by it to recover VAT input tax associated with the cost of staging productions .
- Total Project Integrated v United Learning Trust – advising a trust on its defence to a breach of confidence claim in the Commercial Court quantified at c£27 million.
+44(0)20 7691 4061
Thomas Johnson stands out as tenacious and knowledgeable; highly competent and a good fighter to have on your side. ...
The Legal 500 2020
Recommended in The Legal 500 2021 for Commercial Litigation
Winner of the Dickson Poon School of law Best in Year Prize at King’s College
Awarded Freeman of the City of London