Sean is Head of the Tax practice at Edwin Coe.
Sean acts for high-net and ultra-high-net worth individuals and families and those that advise them (financial service providers and corporate service provider/trustees).
Principally acting for clients with assets and business interests globally, Sean is well versed on multi-jurisdictional issues and has a wealth of experience advising those who are seeking to ensure their tax affairs are administered in a framework that is both effective and compliant. A particular strength is advising non-domiciled clients as to how best to navigate the UK tax landscape and maximise their position, as well as assisting non-UK residents who are looking to acquire business or property interests in the UK and structure their arrangements effectively. Sean has also advised a number of non-UK trustees/directors as to their UK tax position and the impact of several significant legislative changes in the most recent years.
Sean has assisted a significant number of clients (both individuals and companies) who have had Serious Fraud enquiries and/or have sought to make disclosures to HMRC under one of the available disclosure facilities. In addition, Sean is presently undertaking a significant number of client assignments concerned with the significant recent changes to the overseas trust regime.
By combining his practical experience in relation to disputes work and the knowledge base developed as a result of his advisory work, Sean is able to provide an unparalleled service to his clients. With the ability to communicate complex concepts, Sean ensures his clients are well informed and are able to make the right decisions for their affairs.
Sean is also the firm’s Head of Corporate Social Responsibility.
Some examples of recent work include:
- Advising on a non-UK life assurance policy to hold overseas fund interests with a value in excess of $100 million
- Advising on the re-structuring of a non-UK trust structure holding a significant Central London UK residential property portfolio
- Advising on the UK exit to Monaco of a non-domiciled individual in advance of the ‘deemed domiciled’ changes in April 2017
- Advised on the establishment of a non-UK trust structure in advance of the individual becoming ‘deemed domiciled’ under the pre April 2017 regime
- Advised on a ‘mixed fund’ cleanse exercise for a wealthy non-domiciled individual looking to repatriate funds to the UK
- Advised on the use of Business Investment Relief for a finance service professional looking to inject capital in to a new UK venture
- Advised on the re-structuring and sale of a UK business for the principals with a view to maximising Entrepreneurs Relief and their non-domiciled status
- Advised on the new ‘relevant loan’ regime as it relates to non-UK collateral for an individual acquiring a residential property in Central London.
+44 (0)20 7691 4135
Recommended in Spear’s 500 for Tax Advice since 2021
Winner of Wealth & Finance INTL – Best for Tax Dispute Resolution – UK
Chartered Tax Advisor
Edwin Coe’s Head of Corporate Social Responsibility
The Tax team is rated for its professionalism and in depth knowledge of HMRC and its practices.
Client Feedback Survey 2023
I had complete peace of mind that the best outcome would be reached.
Client Feedback Survey 2020
Astute, approachable and professional, Sean will go on to be recognised as one of the ‘go to persons’ for tax mat...eprivateclient's Top 35 Under 35 2015
Sean Bannister is a priceless asset you have.
Client Feedback Survey 2015
You totally delivered on what you promised – thank you.
David, Private Client
I appreciated the comfort and confidence that comes from putting ones affairs in the hands of experts.
Good and reliable advice on complex UK tax matters.
Easy to talk to, and explanations of problems very helpful.
You made the whole process so easy for us. I’d have no hesitation in recommending you.
Michael, Managing Director