Alison joined Edwin Coe in 2016 as Head of Private Client.
Alison acts for high-net-worth UK and non-UK domiciled clients on a wide range of tax, trust and estate planning matters. She advises on and creates solutions to hold, protect and pass on the wealth of her clients to minimise tax and maximise the protection against non-tax threats such as remarriage of the survivor, divorce of beneficiaries, family disputes, financially vulnerable or immature heirs, or simply “too much, too soon”.
She has particular experience of relating the solutions to clients’ financial and investment planning situations and for business owners, of dovetailing personal and business succession planning.
Her experience includes:
- Advising on implementing practical estate plans to reduce inheritance tax and preserve wealth for individuals, couples and families; and ensuring that their wealth is preserved to support the surviving heirs and successive generations.
- Implementing sensitive, practical and tax efficient estate planning for families where there are children or other heirs from more than one marriage or prior relationship; balancing the needs of the surviving spouse and all the children, minimising the risk of future conflict.
- Advising clients owning and acquiring properties (in particular to assist their children on to the property ladder or those wishing to hold “buy to let” properties) on opportunities to save tax and protect the value from non-tax threats.
- Advising high net worth clients on creating family trusts and family investment vehicles.
- Ensuring assets will pass under tax-efficient and wealth protecting Wills and dovetailing this planning with asset protection trusts for life policies and pensions.
- Advising business owners on maximising the availability of entrepreneurs’ relief for capital gains tax and business property relief for inheritance tax; dovetailing personal and business succession planning including advising on business protection strategies often involving the use of life assurance and trusts.
+44 (0)20 7691 4033
Her advice on private client tax and trusts is first-rate and her approach to problem solving is both positive and comme...
Chambers High Net Worth 2019
Ranked as a Leading Individual in the Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2018 and 2019
Silver award winner in the Inspirational Woman of the Year category at the Citywealth Powerwomen Awards 2018
Listed by eprivateclient as one of the 50 Most Influential Private Client advisers in the UK 2019, 2018, and 2017
Recommended in Citywealth Leaders List 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015
Recommended in The Legal 500 2020
Member of the Law Society
Member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Member of The Association of Taxation Technicians
Previous co-editor of Houseman, The Law of Life Assurance
Previous member of ABI Product Tax Panel
She's totally brilliant with clients and is able to describe and explain the most complex ideas in a way that clients...Chambers High Net Worth 2019
Alison is a leader in her field. When there are more complex and difficult situations, she is the right person to han...Chambers High Net Worth 2019
She is a very competent private client lawyer with exceptional knowledge of the wealth investment world. She is also ...Chambers High Net Worth 2018
I find her fantastic, she has an absolutely first-class manner of communication. She conveys complicated concepts in ...Chambers High Net Worth 2017
Alison is dedicated to giving her clients a first class service. She has an excellent and unusually in-depth all roun...Leaders List 2017
She has good flexibility and is good at getting clients to discuss what they need openly, and she combines that with ...Chambers High Net Worth 2017
I am always happy to work with Alison, she understands exactly where we are coming from. She delivers practical advic...Leaders List 2016
Delivers extremely technical advice in a practical and commercial context, is adept at managing expectations and comm...Leaders List 2015