Edwin Coe’s property team comprises lawyers with extensive City experience and provides a comprehensive partner-led service covering all aspects of real estate ownership and use including the acquisition and sale of property, property development, construction law, real estate financing and the resolution of real estate and construction disputes.
We act for clients on the purchase and sale of commercial and high-value residential properties, on residential and commercial development matters, commercial property investment, hotel and leisure transactions, and we provide specialist advice for retail occupiers. Within our property team we also have litigation specialists who are members of the Property Litigation Association and who are experienced in handling a wide variety of real estate and construction related disputes.
Our property finance practice acts for both Borrowers and Lenders on secured lending transactions relating to purchases, refinancings and regearings, and we have considerable experience in the funding of property developments.
Many of our clients come to us as a result of a referral from an existing client or a professional recommendation.
We regularly act on property transactions normally handled by larger firms and have been involved with a number of transactions with values exceeding £100m. We have also acted on a number of high-profile transactions involving complicated structures for the development and financing of real estate.
Typical areas on which we advise include:
- Acquisition and sale of real estate
- Landlord and tenant work
- Banking security, property finance and advisory work, including LPA receiverships
- Construction law (including international projects) and construction litigation
- Hotel, leisure and hospitality sector
- Retail and occupational property
- Property litigation, including contractual disputes and landlord and tenant work
- Commercial and residential property development
- Investment and management of property
- Planning issues (including highway and drainage issues)
Examples of our work
- Purchase and disposal of commercial let investment assets.
- Acquisition and sale of portfolios of commercial investment properties.
- Leasing of industrial commercial units.
- Purchase and refurbishment of head office premises.
Real Estate Finance
- Acting for banks providing senior debt finance to fund the purchase, development and construction of property.
- Advising borrowers in respect of loan and security obligations including syndicated loans.
- Advising on the refinancing of our overseas client’s first UK real estate acquisition in the City of London, a substantial office block. The transaction involves the re-gearing of this prime asset for new UK investors.
- Advising the lender on the refinancing of a portfolio of premises across Central London which included commercial and residential developments. This is one of the larger transactions and the first multi-asset class commercial portfolio transactions entered into by the lender.
- Advising a private bank on a loan facility to acquire a hotel in Yorkshire which has a complicated title and corporate structure. We negotiated and agreed the corporate, land and security documents.
- Advising on the loan financing of a residential development of a former school site in East Sussex which was divided into phases with different lenders to the phases. As a result, complicated ownership and financing arrangements were used.
- Acted for the developer for the Resi Award 2016 winning Development in Mayfair, London which consisted of seven exceptionally high quality luxury apartments. Advised on all legal aspects of the development including acquisition, development and planning, funding, construction and onward sales.
- Acting on the purchase development and disposal of high-value residential property including dealing with the financing arrangements
- Advising on the acquisition of leisure facilities including gyms and other similar “club“ facilities.
- Acting on the purchase of portfolios of leased public houses.
- Handling the investment purchase of serviced accommodation.
- Acting for shareholders in the sale of the hotel premises so as to maximise value.
- Acting for lending institutions on the syndicated financing of shopping centres.
- Dealing with the acquisition of portfolios of retail assets.
- Acting for tenants in connection with the letting and dealings with retail premises.
- Advising on the development and letting of leisure facilities, supermarkets, multi-screen cinema and restaurant facilities.
- Advising on the purchase, funding, construction and letting of distribution facilities.
- Advising our long-standing client, high-street retailer of fresh handmade cosmetics on a ten year lease for a new London headquarters in larger premises at Soho.
- Working alongside the Environment Agency, the Police and the Local Council to advise on the surrender of two leases and claims for dilapidations where a landlord was implicated in dumping waste on the property.
- Instructed to obtain an urgent injunction during a boundary dispute where the contractors of our clients’ neighbours had trespassed onto our clients’ land and had failed to adhere to the requirements of the Party Wall Act.
- Instructed by a housing development client in relation to its development and construction of 135 dwellings for a local authority. Within the time frame of one week, our team negotiated the construction contract for the project.
- Advising clients with new leases on office space which have required various levels of refurbishment. We have been instructed by such clients in relation to the fit-out contracts, including the drafting and negotiation of the building contracts, professional appointments, licences for alterations and warranties in favour of the landlords.
- Regularly instructed by contractors and subcontractors in connection with adjudication proceedings to recover sums due to them following non-payment on construction projects. In the main, these adjudications are technical adjunctions that require the application of the complex payment provisions of the Construction Act.