Banking and Finance
Edwin Coe’s Banking & Finance practice focuses on funding and investment for specific projects and the acquisition of assets and general corporate purposes
The team comprises lawyers who have many years’ knowledge and experience of domestic and international financial and banking transactions (some involving a cross border element), including senior and mezzanine lending, public offerings and private equity investment.
We regularly represent banks, funds, other lenders, borrowers and investors in transactions involving:
- funding and corporate acquisitions and development
- refinancing of commercial and residential real estate.
We can also advise on related issues such as:
- regulatory requirements
- participations and assignments
All transactions are partner-led and handled by qualified and dedicated specialists. We aim to provide advice which is not only accurate and comprehensive but also practical and commercial, proactively seeking solutions to questions which arise.
Examples of our work
- Acting for a developer in connection with the funding of the acquisition of a large London W1 property and the development of the same for residential purposes.
- Acting for a UK lending institution in connection with the financing of the purchase of a large UK regional shopping centre, including the subsequent syndication of the senior loan and advising on related intercreditor arrangements.
- Acting for an investor in a UK based hedge fund, involving both loan and equity shares.
- Acting for a borrower in connection with the Sharia compliant financing of the acquisition and development of London residential property.
- Acting for a European based lender in connection with funding the purchase of commercial premises for residential redevelopment. Acting for a private UK investor in connection with funding the acquisition of a brownfield site for potential redevelopment.
- Acting for a French bank in connection with the refinancing of a private educational establishment in London.
- Acting for a Luxembourg established lender in connection with the financing of the development of a petrol station site for residential purposes.
- Acting for a UK lender in connection with the refinancing of a hotel/leisure property in West Yorkshire.
- Advising the restructuring group of a UK clearing bank on the validity and enforceability of its facility and security documentation in respect of Europe’s leading digital cinematography and hire facility business (providing kit and crew to some of Britain’s best loved television shows such as ‘Made in Chelsea’ and ‘Celebrity Island’), and subsequent advice, review and drafting documentation in relation to the further equity investment into the customer’s business (including various loan notes and security documents, joint intercreditor deed, and supplemental loan agreements), and to advise the bank generally in respect of the transaction.
- Providing advice to a UK clearing bank on a distressed care home business, caring for over 200 people in 4 locations, including advice on the validity and enforceability of the bank’s facility and security documentation.
- Advising the restructuring group of a UK clearing bank on the validity and enforceability of its facility and security documentation in respect of a business trading in high quality cooking and kitchen appliances, and subsequent advice and drafting documentation in respect of the assignment of the intercompany trading receivable of one of the customer’s subsidiary companies and the proposed Members’ Voluntary Liquidation of the subsidiary company.
- Advising the restructuring group of a UK clearing bank on the validity and enforceability of its facility and security documentation in respect of a £40m turnover dairy company processing 100 million pints of UK farm milk annually, and providing subsequent advice and drafting of documentation in relation to the part refinance of the bank lending to an asset based lender.