Ruth joined Edwin Coe as a partner in 2008 and she was previously a partner at Fasken Martineau LLP (formerly Stringer Saul). Ruth specialises in employment law, providing contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to international and UK companies, both private and listed, across a variety of business sectors including pharmaceutical, engineering and financial services.
Ruth’s clients also include individual executives, entrepreneurs, start-ups and charities. Ruth has extensive experience of acting successfully for senior executives in relation to managed exits and negotiating settlement agreements.
- Providing regular contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to the UK subsidiary of a multinational pharmaceutical company including advice on redundancies and restructuring, preparation of comprehensive contractual documentation and policies. Recent instructions have included defending complex proceedings involving breach of contract, unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing issues in which the breach of contract, discrimination and whistleblowing proceedings were successfully struck out.
- Acting for a Divisional Managing Director in a household name bank and successfully negotiating his exit which included considering claims for unfair dismissal and age discrimination. The claims were successfully settled by a settlement agreement.
- Providing regular employment law advice to a financial services company in relation to TUPE issues, restructuring and redundancies and the exit of a number of senior managers under settlement agreements.
- Assisting a start-up education and training company with consideration of employment status issues and the drafting of contractual documentation for its consultants.
- Providing regular TUPE related advice to a Company providing services to professional firms which regularly acquires new clients through the outsourcing of services.
- Acting for a senior ex-pat executive in a London auction house and successfully negotiating an exit under a settlement agreement.
- Providing regular contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to an international engineering company including preparation of comprehensive employment documentation, advising in relation to redundancies and relocation; strategic HR advice in relation to the exit of senior employees, dealing with restrictive covenant and confidential information issues and successfully defending unfair dismissal and discrimination claims in the Employment Tribunal.
- Advising educational charity in relation to a reorganisation of the management of the charity and advising and implementing the consequent redundancy process.
+44 (0)20 7691 4059
Working with Ruth during a very stressful time was an absolute pleasure. She was incredibly responsive from the first ca...
Recommended in The Legal 500 2020
Employment Lawyers’ Association
The City Women’s Network
Member of The Law Society
Always available to give clear, concise advice on the full spectrum of issues we face, from partner exits to issues w...The Legal 500 2020
Ruth Hickling is my absolute go-to in any tricky, sensitive or complicated situation. She gets it - she provides help...The Legal 500 2020
Ruth Hickling is highly practical.
The Legal 500 2019
Working with Ruth during a very stressful time was an absolute pleasure. She was incredibly responsive from the first...Paul Fifield
They give quick responses and they are very realistic about the business world
Chambers UK 2015
I value that Ruth Hickling understands our business and the way in which I work
Client Feedback Survey 2015
Timely response with knowledgeable and friendly appraoch
Client Feedback Survey 2015
Ruth Hickling provides a great service and is very responsive, diligent and has assisted us greatly
Client Feedback Survey 2014