John is a Partner in the Corporate & Commercial team and advises entrepreneurial businesses throughout their lifecycle from start-up to listing and beyond.
His client base includes UK private companies; companies listed on the Main Market, AIM and Nex; limited liability partnerships; and overseas companies.
On a day-to-day basis, John advises on the legal aspects of acquisitions and disposals of businesses both in the UK and internationally; private and public equity fundraisings including the use of the EIS and SEIS schemes; joint ventures; investment and business growth; business structuring and restructuring; and shareholder matters including the resolution of shareholder disputes. He also has a particular interest in the growing area of Initial Coin Offerings, particularly in the utility token space but also more widely.
John specialises in advising limited liability partnerships and their members, particularly with respect to the drafting and negotiation of complex control and remuneration structures in LLP agreements and in the context of disputes between LLPs and their members.
John acts as a trusted advisor to his clients, and has demonstrated a broad business perspective and the ability to quickly grasp and deal with complex issues, which is highly valued by his clients.
- Advised The Freehold Corporation Limited on a substantial equity and preferred equity investment from Columbia Freehold LP, a US investment fund, and continues to advise them on various matters.
- Advised a well-known African bank on various equity arrangements relating to investments in substantial London property developments.
- Advised the director and 50% shareholder of a group of companies in relation to a complex shareholder dispute with a partner, ultimately resulting in the recovery of a substantial sum.
- Advising the continuing partners on a partnership dispute between the owners of a chain of care homes, resulting in a settlement and the exit of a partner.
- Advising a member of a firm of venture capitalists on his exit from the firm’s structures, including UK LLPs and offshore holding vehicles, while retaining his carried interest. This required a restructuring of complex governing documentation with participants in the UK and several offshore jurisdiction.
+44 (0)20 7691 4124
Amazed at the professionalism and capacity of the whole team at Edwin Coe LLP and how they integrated with our deal team...
Member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners
Member of the EIS Association
Recommended in The Legal 500 2019
Amazed at the professionalism and capacity of the whole team at Edwin Coe LLP and how they integrated with our deal t...GDL
Praised as offering the best value for simple M&A matters.
Legal 500 2015
We have been fortunate enough to deal with the same people - this continuity provides us with a higher level of exper...Client Feedback Survey 2015
The team provides advice that is underpinned by good commercial rationale.
Legal 500 2014
Blog - 22/01/2019
The GDPR shows its teeth – Record data privacy fine for Google
Blog - 14/01/2019
Changes to Limited Partnership Rules – Government responds to consul...
Corporate & Commercial
Blog - 20/12/2018
Companies House-keeping: UN sanctions checks on incorporation
Corporate & Commercial
Blog - 12/12/2018
A grate try – Hard cheese for copyright protection in Dutch cheese
Blog - 10/12/2018
Transfers of data from the UK to the EU – it is now time to act