Ian is a Barrister in the Class Action and Financial Litigation team.
His practice spans all aspects of commercial litigation with an emphasis on high value and high profile disputes. Ian is recommended in the Legal 500 as a “Key Lawyer” in both Commercial Litigation and Civil Fraud.
Ian read Classics at the University of Warwick and continued his studies at the University of Law (GDL and LPC), City, University of London (LLM, Distinction), and the University of Oxford, Keble College (Advanced International Advocacy)
Ian is regulated by the Bar Standards Board.
- Upham & Others v HSBC UK Bank PLC (Eclipse Litigation) (Commercial Court, ongoing) – acting for claimant group in a £1.3 billion claim in deceit, conspiracy and dishonest assistance against HSBC for its part in structuring partnerships to invest in Disney films.
- Investors v Clydesdale Financial Services (Barclays Partner Finance) (Business List (ChD), ongoing) – acting for a claimant group arising from the mis-selling of timeshares and pursuing claims for misrepresentation and under consumer credit legislation.
- McGann & Others v The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police – acting for the claimant group in a claim for misfeasance in public office arising out of the Hillsborough tragedy on 15 April 1989.
- Khan v Burke  EWHC 534 (Ch) – Ian appeared as lead counsel in the High Court, obtaining permission to appeal on an issue arising out of compliance with unless orders. This case is now cited in the White Book 2023. Ian also appeared in the High Court on the substantive appeal.
- Lownie v Cabinet Office & other UA-2022-001422-GIA – Ian appeared in the Upper Tribunal led by Philip Coppel KC in respect of an appeal arising out of complaints made under the Freedom of Information Act for information on the Earl of Mountbatten and his family.
- Buheiry v VistaJet Ltd  EWHC 2998 (Comm) – Ian appeared in the Commercial Court, led by Tim Higginson in a claim to set aside an LCIA arbitration award.
+44 (0)20 3974 8150
Recommended in the Legal 500 UK 2024 for Commercial Litigation and Civil Fraud
City Law School Prize for best performance in Mediation and Negotiation
Member of the Commercial Bar Association
Member of Advocate (formerly known as the Bar Pro Bono Unit)
Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Accredited Mediator Training (Society of Mediators)
Completed Advocate’s Pro Bono Pledge of 25 hours of pro bono work in 2023
Ian Chai – an enquiring mind, diligent, to the point, and effective.
The Legal 500 UK 2024
Exceptional knowledge well beyond his PQE.
The Legal 500 UK 2024
Associate Ian Chai provided valuable assistance with a very knotty company dispute. He worked tirelessly, and his dil...The Legal 500 UK 2023
Ian was my barrister on a difficult permission to appeal hearing. He worked extremely hard under a very short timefra...Client Feedback