Emma is a Partner in the Employment Department with significant experience providing strategic and commercial advice to businesses and individuals across the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Her clients are from a variety of industry sectors including financial services, media and entertainment, real estate, hospitality, charity, manufacturing, education, and local authorities.
Emma regularly handles complex and high profile discrimination claims with a particular specialism in disability discrimination. Her clients praise her for being an “outstanding lawyer providing clear, honest and pragmatic advice coupled with an empathetic and measured approach”, “incredibly supportive” and having an “excellent grasp of strategy and tactics”.
Emma regularly speaks at employment law seminars and is a member of the Employment Lawyer’s Association.
- Acting for a corporate client in the defence of claims for disability discrimination and unfair dismissal following a TUPE transfer, including successfully obtaining the strike out of disability discrimination claims at a preliminary stage.
- Advising a senior executive on their return to work following an extended period of absence due to disability and the duty to make reasonable adjustments, and in respect of claims in the Employment Tribunal for disability discrimination.
- Advising a senior banker at a major financial institution in respect of complex disability discrimination claims in the context of disciplinary proceedings for gross misconduct with criminal, high court and HMRC issues running in parallel.
- Advising a senior lawyer at a major financial institution in respect of claims for pregnancy/maternity discrimination in relation to the permanent recruitment of her maternity cover and related disability discrimination claims.
- Representing a corporate client in the defence of a claim for constructive dismissal and sex discrimination following refusal of a request for flexible working on return from maternity leave, including successfully obtaining the strike out of the constructive dismissal claim at a preliminary hearing, and successfully defending the sex discrimination claim both at first instance and in the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT).
- Advising a director shareholder in respect of a disability discrimination claim with a view to recovering his shareholding.
- Advising the Chief Risk Officer of a large insurance company in respect of claims for whistleblowing.
- Advising in respect of an institutional race discrimination allegations against a major financial institution.
- Advising on TUPE acquisitions including undertaking due diligence and negotiating the employment related terms in the APA.
- Advising on drafting and enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- Advising a modelling agency in respect of its terms and conditions with its models and end user clients.
- Advising an umbrella recruitment company in respect of its terms and conditions with workers.
+44 (0)20 7691 4079
I have no hesitation in recommending Emma, she quickly understood the issues I sought advice on, was incredibly supporti...
Disciplinary and Grievance Issues
Recommended in The Legal 500 2019
Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
Member of the Law Society
Linky Trott and Emma Sangeelee, individually and as a team, are outstanding. They are smart, talented, hardworking an...The Legal 500 2020
Emma's advice was second to none - she has an excellent grasp of strategy and tactics.
They give quick responses and they are very realistic about the business world.
Chambers UK 2015
Emma always took my calls, responded quickly and kept me fully informed, I felt like I was in very good hands and was...Client
They do lot of high-value individual work and they are not frightened of taking on High Court litigation which spread...Chambers UK 2015
Blog - 19/04/2018
Is a father taking shared parental leave enti...
Blog - 08/01/2018
Can a non-disabled employee who is perceived ...
Blog - 28/11/2017
Honesty is the best policy: EAT finds that gi...
Blog - 28/03/2017
Religious holidays and time off work; when ca...