Emma is a Partner in the Employment Department with significant experience providing strategic and commercial advice to businesses and individuals across the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Her clients are from a variety of industry sectors including financial services, media and entertainment, real estate, hospitality, charity, manufacturing, education, and local authorities.
Emma regularly handles complex and high profile discrimination claims with a particular specialism in disability discrimination. Her clients praise her for being an “outstanding lawyer providing clear, honest and pragmatic advice coupled with an empathetic and measured approach”, “incredibly supportive” and having an “excellent grasp of strategy and tactics”.
Emma regularly speaks at employment law seminars.
- Acting for a corporate client in the defence of claims for disability discrimination and unfair dismissal following a TUPE transfer, including successfully obtaining the strike out of disability discrimination claims at a preliminary stage.
- Advising a senior executive on their return to work following an extended period of absence due to disability and the duty to make reasonable adjustments, and in respect of claims in the Employment Tribunal for disability discrimination.
- Advising a senior banker at a major financial institution in respect of complex disability discrimination claims in the context of disciplinary proceedings for gross misconduct with criminal, high court and HMRC issues running in parallel.
- Advising a senior lawyer at a major financial institution in respect of claims for pregnancy/maternity discrimination in relation to the permanent recruitment of her maternity cover and related disability discrimination claims.
- Representing a corporate client in the defence of a claim for constructive dismissal and sex discrimination following refusal of a request for flexible working on return from maternity leave, including successfully obtaining the strike out of the constructive dismissal claim at a preliminary hearing, and successfully defending the sex discrimination claim both at first instance and in the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT).
- Advising a director shareholder in respect of a disability discrimination claim with a view to recovering his shareholding.
- Advising the Chief Risk Officer of a large insurance company in respect of claims for whistleblowing.
- Advising in respect of an institutional race discrimination allegations against a major financial institution.
- Advising on TUPE acquisitions including undertaking due diligence and negotiating the employment related terms in the APA.
- Advising on drafting and enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- Advising a modelling agency in respect of its terms and conditions with its models and end user clients.
- Advising an umbrella recruitment company in respect of its terms and conditions with workers.
+44 (0)20 7691 4079
Emma is very knowledgeable, thorough and gives clear, concise and pragmatic advice
Chambers UK 2021
Disciplinary and Grievance Issues
Recognised as an ‘Notable practitioner’ in Chambers UK 2022
Recommended as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in Legal 500 UK 2022
Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
She is an exceptionally perceptive and intuitive lawyer who has outstanding client management abilities.
Chambers UK 2022
She has a mix of strategic insight, technical expertise and an understanding of human nature and the people that she ...Chambers UK 2022
I really appreciated that my experience was not at all corporate or cold, and instead felt personal and catered to my...Legal 500 UK 2022
Emma Sangeelee can always analyse difficult matters in a veryLegal 500 UK 2022
sensible and wise way to get exactly the outcome ...
She is very knowledgeable, thorough and gives clear, concise and pragmatic advice.
Chambers UK 2021
Emma has a real depth of knowledge, particularly around disability discrimination.
Chambers UK 2021
Emma is incredibly knowledgeable and supportive.
Chambers UK 2021
Emma Sangeelee is an exceptional lawyer who utilises a unique mix of strategic insight, technical expertise and a str...Legal 500 UK 2021
Emma Sangeelee is very knowledgeable and thorough. She gives clear, concise and pragmatic advice.
Legal 500 UK 2021
Linky Trott and Emma Sangeelee, individually and as a team, are outstanding. They are smart, talented, hardworking an...Legal 500 UK 2020
Emma's advice was second to none - she has an excellent grasp of strategy and tactics.
Emma always took my calls, responded quickly and kept me fully informed, I felt like I was in very good hands and was...Client feedback
I have no hesitation in recommending Emma, she quickly understood the issues I sought advice on, was incredibly suppo...Client feedback
Blog - 06/08/2021
Dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s when...
Blog - 24/09/2020
A New Approach – The end of the Furlough Sc...
Blog - 19/04/2018
Is a father taking shared parental leave enti...
Blog - 08/01/2018
Can a non-disabled employee who is perceived ...