We are a leading firm of UK based lawyers and tax advisers who specialise in providing both international and UK corporate tax advice to international and UK domestic clients. We practice across the whole area of both direct and indirect corporate taxes including taxes on corporate profits such as corporation tax and diverted profits tax as well as VAT and stamp taxes.
We have specific and longstanding expertise in acting for clients from many jurisdictions worldwide including most countries in Europe, the United States, countries of Central Asia and the Far East including Singapore and Hong Kong as well as Australia and New Zealand. Since the early 1990’s we have advised clients from Russia and other countries of the CIS region including, in particular, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine and Georgia. We are qualified in the practice of both UK and Russian tax law and have extensive knowledge of other tax systems. We work regularly with advisers from other jurisdictions on a regular basis.
We have worked with clients across a wide range of industries sectors. Specifically we have extensive experience of working in oil and gas, mining (especially the gold sector), pharma and food distribution and retail, hotels, real estate and ports, transportation (commercial shipping and aircraft). We have also worked in telecoms (especially the mobile sector), films and media.
Typical examples of the work we do to assist clients include the following:
- Proposing a new structure for an international group in order to maximise the flow of dividends, interest and royalties through the use of double taxation agreements and EU Directives;
- Advising on the location of a group holding company and/or sub-holding company taking into account both tax and commercial factors;
- Proposing a suitable corporate structure for cross border M & A, asset sale and finance transactions;
- Preparing a corporate group for an IPO prior to listing on AIM or the main market of the London Stock Exchange;
- Advising international groups on various VAT issues arising out of the international supply of goods and services;
- Advising on the implications of the OECD BEPS project for international groups of companies and the growing importance of the question of ‘substance’;
- Advising on UK stamp duty and stamp duty reserve tax issues arising on the transfer of shares and loan capital;
- Advising UK companies on transfer pricing issues, the new rules on the use of corporate losses and the new corporate interest restrictions;
- Advising on the scope and wording of tax warranties and indemnities on share and asset sales.