Ben Harle of our Private Client team advises on what might happen to a property when an unmarried couple decides to split, in the latest Troubleshooter column in the Property section of The Times.

My partner and I are going through a break-up and I’m wondering what will happen to our house now that we are going our separate ways. He has said that because his mother gave us the deposit on the house and we have lived there together since 2015, I have to buy him out of the property.

He has a poor credit rating so the mortgage is solely in my name. But his parents put the £7,500 deposit on the house, which was signed as a “gift”. Does that give him any legal rights to the property?…

Read the full article in The Times (subscription may be required)

Latest News & Events See All

Share by: