Senior Associate – Private Client Team
Job Title: Senior Associate
Reporting to: Head of Private Client
Direct reports: n/a (but this is a mentoring and supervisory role)
Hours: 9:00am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday with additional hours when required.
Location: Current guidelines are that subject to business (client and team) needs, you may work from home up to 50% of each week, otherwise in our offices at Lincoln’s Inn WC2A
Edwin Coe is ranked as a Top Private Client firm in The Times Best Law Firms, eprivateclient, Chambers HNW and The Legal 500. The department has been growing steadily in recent years and we have seen our rankings improve further accordingly. We currently have 5 partners and a close knit supportive team in total of 23 people. We act as trusted advisers to hnw and uhnw individuals, families, trustees, family or owner-run businesses and trust companies both in the UK and internationally. We place particular priority on continuity and fostering close long-term relationships with contacts and clients in order to provide practical advice and commercial solutions on a very wide variety of tax, trust and estate planning situations that arise.
Due to the imminent departure of our lead (and ranked) International Senior Associate, we are looking to hire an experienced Senior Associate to work in the team. Primarily to support and work alongside our leading highly ranked and regarded international partner but also the other partners and the wider team on (largely) the more international side of the practice. This is a role with partnership prospects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage a varied caseload involving all aspects of international Wills, trusts, tax, estate and succession planning. You will be acting largely autonomously, albeit officially under the supervision of one of the relevant partners on each matter and with a strong emphasis on the international side. Where relevant, you will also be supervising/mentoring the junior associates and trainee
- Taking ownership of interaction with clients, their other advisers and intermediaries generally to grow your and the department’s practice
- Take client’s instructions and advise on the law, tax and legal practical commercial issues
- Draft relevant deeds, documents, advice notes, letters and correspondence tailored to the client’s individual needs and requirements.
Skills, experience and attributes:
- Minimum 6 years PQE
- Experience in advising and acting for UK and international HNW clients, families and trustees
- Experience in advising, implementing solutions and drafting on areas including international wills, trusts, tax, estate and succession planning
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong client relationship skills
- Able to prioritise a busy workload and delegate where able
- Proven resilience
- Positive can-do and pragmatic approach
- Proven judgement and decision making skills
- Collegiate, team player approach
- Strong Academics. STEP qualified or currently undertaking STEP exams.
Specific examples of likely work to be undertaken:
- Drafting Wills and letters of wishes, usually with an international element, and coordinating advice from foreign advisers where needed
- Advising on and setting up Excluded Property Trusts
- Advising on domicile, residence, and the remittance basis of taxation
- Advising on and undertaking trust compliance, including the UK Trust Register
- Advising on UK taxation for international clients and offshore trusts, including IHT, NRCGT/CGT and IT
- Advising on charitable giving and philanthropic planning in the context of UK and international estate planning
- Advising on bespoke succession planning options for UHNW international clients, including the establishment of Private Trust Company structures and on Family Constitutions.
If you are interested in a career at Edwin Coe, please Click here to send us your CV and covering letter (No agencies please).