The Green Deal Home Improvement Fund (Green Deal HIF) is set to launch in June 2014 as recently announced by The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). It will enable households (including private or social landlords as well as homeowners) carrying out energy efficiency improvements to recover up to £7,600 from the government to offset the cost of the works. The government’s Green Deal HIF is offering a £500 payment for anyone who installs energy efficiency measures within 12 months of moving into a property. The Green Deal HIF will also pay domestic energy customers:
- 100% of the cost of installing two measures from the approved list (below) that includes secondary glazing and floor insulation, up to a total maximum of £1,000.
- 75% of the cost of installing internal or external solid wall insulation, up to a maximum of £6,000.
- Up to £100 refunded for their Green Deal Assessment.
The scheme will be open for one year. To be eligible, the installation must be recommended on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) less than two years old at the date of application, or on a Green Deal advice report. Claiming payment seems to be relatively easy – a householder must:
- apply for measures as recommended on their assessment report or EPC;
- register for their Green Deal HIF voucher when the application website and telephone hotline number go live in early June;
- have the improvements installed by a registered Green Deal Installer or Provider within six months of receipt of the Green Deal HIF voucher; and
- submit their voucher once the work has been completed.
Payment should then be received within ten working days. The Government hopes that the new scheme will help to revive the uptake of the Green Deal, launched in 2012.
Approved List of Works
- Condensing gas boiler (on mains gas)
- Double glazing (replacing single glazing)
- Secondary glazing
- Replacement doors
- Cavity wall insulation
- Floor insulation
- Flat roof insulation
- Room-in-roof insulation
- Replacement warm air unit
- Replacement storage heaters
- Flue gas heat recovery units
- Waste water heat recovery systems
For information regarding Edwin Coe and the Property and Construction group please visit https://www.edwincoe.com/services/property.asp.
If you aren’t receiving our legal updates directly to your mailbox, please sign up now
Please note that this blog is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content of this blog.
Edwin Coe LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (No. OC326366) and is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of members of the LLP is available for inspection at our registered office: 2 Stone Buildings, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3TH. "Partner" denotes a member of the LLP or an employee or consultant with the equivalent standing. Our privacy notice which we are obliged to give you under the GDPR is available here.