The UK is a prime location for many wishing to study in the UK, as there are many reputable education providers. We are also aware that many also wish to enter the UK to do English language courses. In order to obtain a visa in this category, you would first be assessed by your potential Tier 4 sponsor. We also assist prospective students with finding sponsors as well as assessing their credentials to see which institutions would be likely to offer them a place on a course.
If you are 16 or over and you wish to study in the UK you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa. You can apply if you:
- have been offered a place on a course
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have sufficient money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary
- are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements.
You are allowed to do a course that is one of the following:
- full-time leading to a qualification that’s at least level 6 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF)
- an overseas course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
- a full-time course with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study leading to a qualification below degree level but at least NQF level 3
- a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist.
Postgraduate doctors and dentists
You can apply for this visa if you are sponsored to do a recognised foundation programme and you have:
- finished a recognised UK degree in medicine or dentistry
- received that degree from a registered Tier 4 sponsor
- spent your final year and at least 1 other year of studies leading to that degree in the UK
Confirmation of acceptances for studies (CAS)
If your Tier 4 sponsor is satisfied and is happy to offer you a place on a course, they will provide you with a reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
Advantages of this visa
You have to ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa. Under the Tier 4 (General) visa, you can:
- study – the main purpose of the visa
- work as a student union sabbatical officer
- apply from inside the UK if you are in a category which allows you to switch in to this category
- apply from outside the UK
- apply to extend your leave
- work – this depends on the level of your course and the type of your sponsor
Disadvantages of this visa
The Tier 4 (General) visa does not allow you to:
- have recourse to public funds
- work as a professional sportsperson, including a sports coach
- study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
Depending on the level of your course, you may be able to bring family members (dependants).